Saturday Morning 37 Practices of Bodhisattvas-Online
December 19, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 9:30 am
An event every week that begins at 8:00 am on Saturday, repeating until January 31, 2021
Beginning on Saturday, November 7th (on the Great Occasion of Lhabab Duchen), from 8:00am to 9:30am each Saturday until completed, Khenpo Karten Rinpoche will conduct teachings on The Thirty-seven Practices of Bodhisattvas, written by Gyelsay Togmay Sangpo in the fourteenth century. This treasured teaching lays out the conduct of those who aspire to train in the brave path of love and compassion with clarity and humor. Our Dharma family in Portland will host this series of teachings.
The teachings will be conducted in Tibetan, and the text used will be in Tibetan as well, with no English text available. Although this is the case, Rinpoche’s English-speaking students are also welcome to join the event to meditate and enjoy the good energy of this precious teaching.
More resources for English-speakers and the Zoom Link is below.
More resources for English-speaking students:
- His Holiness the Dalai Llama gave a teaching on this text on January 2, 2020, and you can see notes on his official website from that teaching here.
- The online publisher Lotsawa House makes this text (and many others) available for free download: 37 Practices of Bodhisattvas
- In early 2020, MDC Sangha Member, Karma Palden (Miles) had the excellent good fortune to travel to the most holy Buddhist site in our world, the Vajra Seat (Dorje Den) of Buddha’s Enlightenment, known as Bodhgaya, location of the renowned Bodhi Tree. There, he had the further good blessings and karma to receive teachings on the 37 Practices of a Bodhisattva directly from H.H. Dalai XIV, who is none other than the Buddha of Compassion, Chenrezig, in human form. Karma Palden has generously transcribed his hand-written notes from the teachings in digital format in order to make them freely available to MDC Sangha members. You can obtain a copy of these notes by contacting him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The Thirty-Seven Practices of Bodhisattvas, text by Ngülchu Thogme Zangpo
- Suggested Readings for the Study of “The Thirty-Seven Practices of a Bodhisattva,” list compiled by Sangha member and former MDC Board President Bob Muller:
HH Dalai Lama – “Commentary on the Thirty-Seven Practices of a Bodhisattva”, LTWA, 1995
Chokyi Dragpa – “Uniting Wisdom and Compassion: Illuminating the Thirty-Seven Practices of a Bodhisattva”, Wisdom Publications, 2004
Barbara Du Bois – “Brave, Generous, & Undefended: Heart Teachings on the 37 Bodhisattva Practices”, White Cloud Press, 2020
Dilgo Khyentse – “The Heart of Compassion: The Thirty-Seven Verses on the Practice of a Bodhisattva”, Shambhala, 2007
Geshe Jampa Tegchok – “Transforming the Heart: The Buddhist Way to Joy and Courage”, Snow Lion Publications, 1999
Geshe Tsultim Gyeltsen – “Keys to Great Enlightenment”, Thubten Dhargye Ling Publications, 2006